Sunday, May 9, 2010

Can You Figure This Out?

We had a warm Wednesday last week, and Brian and I decided to go on an evening walk around our neighborhood. Not only do we live in Greektown, we live just blocks from the University of Illinois at Chicago. So we see a ton of college kids around. We were approaching what you see below, and I thought I was going crazy. I in fact, almost stepped on a dead bird and Brian had to pull me over. Can you figure it out? If you see on the left another set of signs. Well, that is above a drop off that is the actual freeway.

So I was thinking, noo, the city really wouldn't do that would they? Is there some sort of mirror/reflecting agent I can't see?



We then walked up to the two people standing there and I got an inkling of what it might be. Anyways, we asked them if they knew the story, and they said they were the artists. Of course! I love it! How clever, and to have it on ground level next to the freeway below. It made me laugh, and still does. In addition, they told us that they have been working on it all semester. The thing is about two weeks ago they started construction and added the orange signs to the real freeway sign. I imagine when the artist saw that they were like, ahhh, now we have to adjust ours too so it is realistic. Boy, is it realistic. We couldn't stop staring at it and I think we made the artists really happy.

An installation piece just steps from our door. I love living in the city. You never know what you may stumble upon.

No comments:

Post a Comment